Bose 900 sound formats

wrote:

This sounds like a complete mess. I hope more information comes out for people but I don’t believe I’ll be upgrading my SB700 due to these unknown incompatibilities and also the asinine choice to still have no pass through HDMI capabilities. 

I was very impressed by the tech demo in the store, I’m still loving my SB700 but after a few months I unfortunately started to see the compatibility issues and of course technical issues with the SB700. 

I was going to go for the Sony HT-A700 which has full Dolby/DTS support and Hi-Res  Audio support. But then I was just put off by the lack of flexibility with sound bars and just decided to go the receiver and speaker route. 

I hope Bose clears things up for everyone as I feel blind sided by the SB700 and the customer experience 

I agree, .

I don't have a giant cinema room. Instead, I have a standard living room, and so a really nice decent soundbar does the job perfectly, especially when paired with rear speakers and a dedicated subwoofer. It looks cleaner too. But we're entering the age where soundbars and accessories have to be replaced together, unlike a dedicated receiver bringing your own speakers and upgrading them when super required.

I stayed away from Sony. When they release a new high-end soundbar, they usually require you to pair it to their new subwoofer and rear speakers for the best quality experience or to optimise it correctly. I went with Bose simply because I like their audio and think it's pretty nice for the price, especially when they opened the concept of mixing and matching their accessories. However (and I'm not leaving Sonos out of this), if they decide not to support future audio techniques fully, your accessories become bricked if you have to move brands because there is no way to wire them up with another brand.

I understand if Bose said we're not doing Dolby Atmos, or they release some rear speakers with Atmos tweeters on them and say you need these. That's different. That's your choice to leave if you want a better audio experience. But if they botch the approach, it's annoying.

I'm super tempted to get the Sony HT-A7000. We're not going to see any major changes to the audio formats for the next 5 years or so, and now might be the best time to clean up and replace my home theatre system as I know it will last if it needs completely replacing again in the future. I've only had my Bose 700 for around 2 years now and was hoping to get either longer out of it or do a small upgrade with the 900.

Hoping Bose can clear this mess up soon too.

wrote:

If you've got a few days to spare, you can read all of this on the Dolby Developer website, but I will break it down for you to know the significant bits. I know all of this because I work in audio.

Do you have a good source that could recap it so that would help others if they want to read up on this in the future?

wrote:

That's my point exactly, which is where you're making a mistake. Linear PCM does not support Dolby Atmos, which means you can't reencode Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos into a Linear PCM format using a Blu-Ray or your TV. It's static and fixed.(..)

Dolby Atmos is metadata, not a codec which means it can lay on top of any audio signal as long as you can wrap it correctly in the audio codec such as Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Unfortunately, Atmos can not exist on its own, so Linear PCM can't support it as it only has eight channels of analogue audio. So there is no stream for metadata.

I've read up over the years quite a bit about LPCM vs Bitstream and it helped me make the guides I have linked to others in the past. I have known for some time what Atomos was and how it only contained Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3 JOC) or Dolby TrueHD (MLP FBA 16-ch) and how that allows systems like Bose's current and older Lifestyle systems to work with Atmos soundtracks.

What I was unsure about is if LPCM 7.1 would be able to send that Atmos signal or not. From what you said, even forcing LPCM 5.1 and using one of the unused channels for the Atmos positioning data still would not work. 

wrote:

Streaming Services or TV channels such as Netflix or Disney use Dolby Digital Plus as the bandwidth is much smaller at 768kbps when you compare it to Dolby Digital at a maximum of 640kbps. Therefore, it has no real impact on the service or the user to add that small amount of data.

Dolby TrueHD is mainly Blu-Ray only because the bandwidth with Dolby Atmos can range up to 18000kbps depending on how lossless the audio is. Although we're in 2021 and most internet connections are hitting gigabit speeds, services would realistically not handle an extra 16mbps of internet connection on top of a 4K stream which is usually around 25mbps. It's half of another 4K stream and costs money.

Correct. It's annoying; but correct.

wrote:

Dolby invented MAT mainly for gaming on PC. It's a way to place the Dolby Atmos metadata on top of the Linear PCM analogue audio. So it's Linear PCM with Dolby Atmos but wrapped in Dolby MAT, which allows it to travel together to a receiver.

That makes sense

wrote:

The Xbox One and Series X|S now support this, and Apple TV does too.

I believe Apple TV gets around this by having the streaming service offer the Dolby Digital audio and Atmos metadata separately, which allows them to decode the Dolby Digital audio into Linear PCM and then pack it into Dolby MAT with the Atmos metadata.

I think I missed something here, what is Apple getting around?

wrote:

Why they do this over just supporting Dolby Digital Plus is beyond me, but Apple TV has always been Pro-Linear PCM and prefers to output this over using compressed formats.

Is it not a good thing that Apple does this as Soundbars such as the 900 would work not caring what 3D audio positioning format it was originally encoded in? 

wrote:

Any receiver that supports Linear PCM and Dolby Atmos should automatically support Dolby MAT. Because of this, many older receivers will show LPCM or LPCM/Atmos on them instead of Dolby MAT.

So the question is this. Can all source devices that support Atmos & LPCM also support Dolby MAT with a firmware update or is it a hardware issue? What about DTS:X? Would that be converted into Dolby MAT?

wrote:

Breakdown Points.

• A Blu-Ray player can reencode 5.1 and 7.1 formats such as Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD to Linear PCM 5.1/7.1.
  • Dolby Atmos is metadata that has to be wrapped in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD.
  • If you want to use Linear PCM with Dolby Atmos, it must be wrapped in Dolby MAT by the source device. Only a PC, Xbox, or Apple TV supports this.

• Yes, that has been very helpful. From what you have said above it will also work with Atmos content, though it will throw out the Atmos and only send the core Dolby file
  • Yes, that I have known for a while now and I find it very helpful. Though I do wish that instead of saying it is Atmos I wish it would let you know if it is the lossy or lossless version of Dolby in the file.
  • It looks like there is a solution to using LPCM with Atmos in the form of Dolby MAT. So the question has to be if this is going to be the future of audio devices or a niche audio codec. 

1) Do you have a good source that could recap it so that would help others if they want to read up on this in the future?

Dolby Developer website is the only place to research it all. Dolby Atmos is split into Home Theatre, Cinema, Mobile, Headphones, Gaming, etc. And then it goes into detail on the codecs, bitrate, bandwidth, connections, devices, and more. There isn't a recap or one page other than what I have written that can do it.

2) I've read up over the years quite a bit about LPCM vs Bitstream and it helped me make the guides I have linked to others in the past. I have known for some time what Atomos was and how it only contained Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3 JOC) or Dolby TrueHD (MLP FBA 16-ch) and how that allows systems like Bose's current and older Lifestyle systems to work with Atmos soundtracks.

What I was unsure about is if LPCM 7.1 would be able to send that Atmos signal or not. From what you said, even forcing LPCM 5.1 and using one of the unused channels for the Atmos positioning data still would not work. 

So, Linear PCM is just analogue audio but is carried over a digital cable which results in cleaner audio. Because it's not wrapped or compressed, there isn't anywhere to add extra data. The way it works is each channel individually sends the audio down the cable to the receiver rather than wrapping all of the channels together and sending them in packets similar to Dolby Digital or TrueHD. Only way to get Linear PCM audio with Dolby Atmos is to wrap it in Dolby MAT.

3) I think I missed something here, what is Apple getting around?

Apple is able to use Dolby MAT because they're able to force the hand of the applications to support it. However, they do still support Dolby Digital Plus for outputting, they just prefer to use Dolby MAT and Linear PCM if the receiver support it.

4) Is it not a good thing that Apple does this as Soundbars such as the 900 would work not caring what 3D audio positioning format it was originally encoded in? 

Apple TV can still output Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos similar to how it can output Dolby Digital because the streaming audio is pre-encoded. It's just preferred that if your soundbar supports Linear PCM or Dolby MAT, it will output everything analogue that way. It's definitely much better, especially for the Bose Soundbar 900 as if it truly won't support Dolby Digital Plus, it would be one of the only ways of gaining Atmos from streaming services.

But technically, even though the audio is Linear PCM, it still came from a lossy audio format. It won't improve the audio unless you're using an application such as a game that directly outputs the Linear PCM audio.

5) So the question is this. Can all source devices that support Atmos & LPCM also support Dolby MAT with a firmware update or is it a hardware issue? What about DTS:X? Would that be converted into Dolby MAT?

As long as it has suitable hardware and power, there is no limitation other than licensing I suppose. The Apple TV 4K specifically has a Dolby MAT encoder and the Xbox One removed a lot of the Kinect dashboard integration which allowed them to enable Dolby Atmos on the console with Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Dolby MAT by using the secondary processor.

The Xbox Series X|S actually have an audio processor which was built specifically to drive 3D audio for Dolby Atmos to allow it to output much cleaner than the Xbox One.

Dolby MAT is just Linear PCM with Atmos metadata. But it's an extra licence they have to pay and with most streaming services already having the entire thing compressed as Dolby Digital Plus, there isn't much point. One licence for Dolby Digital Live and you've covered both 5.1, 7.1, and Atmos. It won't touch DTS, but at the same time, it needs to know that it's doing Dolby MAT. As far as I know, there has to be support from both the device and the application.

But I believe that Dolby MAT can actually rip apart a Dolby TrueHD file and split it back into Linear PCM and Atmos. The only reason is that TrueHD is technically lossless audio. However, as the Bose Soundbar 900 already supports TrueHD, there isn't much point other than the source device deciding whether it wants to do that or not.

6) Yes, that I have known for a while now and I find it very helpful. Though I do wish that instead of saying it is Atmos I wish it would let you know if it is the lossy or lossless version of Dolby in the file.

If it's is coming from a streaming service, it's going to be lossy. If it is coming from a Blu-Ray, it's near enough lossless even with Dolby TrueHD. If it is coming from a game such as a PC, it's pure Linear PCM lossless.

7) It looks like there is a solution to using LPCM with Atmos in the form of Dolby MAT. So the question has to be if this is going to be the future of audio devices or a niche audio codec. 

It's not niche, but it's another option that is available. It's not going to supersede another format such as TrueHD as we still need to compress down audio to fit onto media. You will see it more for live audio such as gaming as if the game is throwing out a Linear PCM audio signal, you might as well add the 3D metadata and call it a day because HDMI has enough bandwidth. No point in creating another encoder to force it into a TrueHD format. Just adds latency and can cause other issues. Dolby MAT was basically designed not to encode, but just to box up the two for shipping.

wrote:

1) Do you have a good source that could recap it so that would help others if they want to read up on this in the future?

Dolby Developer website is the only place to research it all. Dolby Atmos is split into Home Theatre, Cinema, Mobile, Headphones, Gaming, etc. And then it goes into detail on the codecs, bitrate, bandwidth, connections, devices, and more. There isn't a recap or one page other than what I have written that can do it.

Ah a pity, but thanks 🙂

wrote:

2) I've read up over the years quite a bit about LPCM vs Bitstream and it helped me make the guides I have linked to others in the past. I have known for some time what Atomos was and how it only contained Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3 JOC) or Dolby TrueHD (MLP FBA 16-ch) and how that allows systems like Bose's current and older Lifestyle systems to work with Atmos soundtracks.

So, Linear PCM is just analogue audio but is carried over a digital cable which results in cleaner audio. Because it's not wrapped or compressed, there isn't anywhere to add extra data. The way it works is each channel individually sends the audio down the cable to the receiver rather than wrapping all of the channels together and sending them in packets similar to Dolby Digital or TrueHD. Only way to get Linear PCM audio with Dolby Atmos is to wrap it in Dolby MAT.

Yeah, luckily I do what LPCM is, though the question with me was how LPCM would treat Atmos content. What you stated in this thread is what I thought would happen. Though I had hoped that there was a workaround within existing tech (not just Dolby MAT which is new tech). It's a pity, though not too unexpected. 

wrote:

3) I think I missed something here, what is Apple getting around?

Apple is able to use Dolby MAT because they're able to force the hand of the applications to support it. However, they do still support Dolby Digital Plus for outputting, they just prefer to use Dolby MAT and Linear PCM if the receiver support it.

Yep, with the Soundbar 900:

• LPCM 7.1 will be the only way to be able to play Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby MAT would be the only way to get Atmos Dolby Digital Plus 

But you can still get standard Dolby Digital 5.1 if you send it a bitstreamed version.

wrote:

4) Is it not a good thing that Apple does this as Soundbars such as the 900 would work not caring what 3D audio positioning format it was originally encoded in? 

Apple TV can still output Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos similar to how it can output Dolby Digital because the streaming audio is pre-encoded. It's just preferred that if your soundbar supports Linear PCM or Dolby MAT, it will output everything analogue that way. It's definitely much better, especially for the Bose Soundbar 900 as if it truly won't support Dolby Digital Plus, it would be one of the only ways of gaining Atmos from streaming services.

So yes that is a good thing, but the issue is that not everyone does this 😕

wrote:

But technically, even though the audio is Linear PCM, it still came from a lossy audio format. It won't improve the audio unless you're using an application such as a game that directly outputs the Linear PCM audio.

Yep, I know. I mention that in a few places. Even Dolby themselves called Dolby Digital Plus "Enhanced" (E-AC3) compared to the lossless Dolby TrueHD.

wrote:

5) So the question is this. Can all source devices that support Atmos & LPCM also support Dolby MAT with a firmware update or is it a hardware issue? What about DTS:X? Would that be converted into Dolby MAT?

As long as it has suitable hardware and power, there is no limitation other than licensing I suppose. 

Ah, I feared that. LPCM was great as it didn't have any licencing fees attached to it. When I saw the name "Dolby" it did make me concerned that would not be the case here. I do suppose that makes sense though as you need to decode Atmos before you can reencode it into LPCM Atmos.

wrote:

The Apple TV 4K specifically has a Dolby MAT encoder and the Xbox One removed a lot of the Kinect dashboard integration which allowed them to enable Dolby Atmos on the console with Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Dolby MAT by using the secondary processor.

The Xbox Series X|S actually have an audio processor which was built specifically to drive 3D audio for Dolby Atmos to allow it to output much cleaner than the Xbox One.

Ah, I assumed it was done via software. Atmos, while been out for a few years now, is still relatively new. Well decoding it via a dedicated chip will make the reencoding faster, but it will add to the cost of manufacturing. So I can only guess this won't be a popular as I had hoped. That is unless there is a popular chip for other manufactures out there that also decodes Dolby TrueHD and the such.

wrote:

Dolby MAT is just Linear PCM with Atmos metadata. But it's an extra licence they have to pay and with most streaming services already having the entire thing compressed as Dolby Digital Plus, there isn't much point. One licence for Dolby Digital Live and you've covered both 5.1, 7.1, and Atmos. (..)

But I believe that Dolby MAT can actually rip apart a Dolby TrueHD file and split it back into Linear PCM and Atmos. The only reason is that TrueHD is technically lossless audio. However, as the Bose Soundbar 900 already supports TrueHD, there isn't much point other than the source device deciding whether it wants to do that or not.

Darn (I first said dam...n but it got censored... I wouldn't have thought of that as a bad word 🤷‍♂️), I was hoping that Dolby MAT was covered in the standard Atmos licencing fee, not requiring a separate one.

wrote:

It won't touch DTS, but at the same time, it needs to know that it's doing Dolby MAT. As far as I know, there has to be support from both the device and the application.

Is there a DTS:X alternative to Dolby MAT or will the Soundbar 900 only ever support DTS via standard LPCM without 3D audio (Object-Based) encoding?

wrote:

6) Yes, that I have known for a while now and I find it very helpful. Though I do wish that instead of saying it is Atmos I wish it would let you know if it is the lossy or lossless version of Dolby in the file.

If it's is coming from a streaming service, it's going to be lossy. If it is coming from a Blu-Ray, it's near enough lossless even with Dolby TrueHD. If it is coming from a game such as a PC, it's pure Linear PCM lossless.

Yeah though (unless I am remembering incorrectly) I believe have encountered at least one Blu-ray/UHD which uses Atmos Dolby Digital Plus. I personally would like to have a way to distinguish the lossy core from the lossless one.

wrote:

7) It looks like there is a solution to using LPCM with Atmos in the form of Dolby MAT. So the question has to be if this is going to be the future of audio devices or a niche audio codec. 

It's not niche, but it's another option that is available. It's not going to supersede another format such as TrueHD as we still need to compress down audio to fit onto media. You will see it more for live audio such as gaming as if the game is throwing out a Linear PCM audio signal, you might as well add the 3D metadata and call it a day because HDMI has enough bandwidth. No point in creating another encoder to force it into a TrueHD format. Just adds latency and can cause other issues. Dolby MAT was basically designed not to encode, but just to box up the two for shipping.

No, I wasn't thinking about it superseding anything. I was hoping that Dolby MAT (or something like it) would become the norm. Though as it requires another licencing fee and the possibility of increasing the costs of the hardware, it does not look like this will be the case.

The great thing about LPCM 7.1 is that it was royalty-free and was a minimum requirement for Blu-rays and HD-DVD's when they first came out and through to today.

Receivers that supported LPCM 7.1 allowed it to play formats it didn't support and possibly new audio formats that might come out years after that receiver was first sold. I was hoping that if LPCM 7.1 couldn't support the Object-based information that there would be a royalty-free alternative that would be required to continue that trend. It seems that is not the case.

Guys,

As you know, the forum is being closed down. I suspected this would happen last week as Bose removed the link on the website. It's a shame, but I'm sure we'll bump into each other another way to discuss this, such as through Reddit.

Take care, everyone.

wrote:

Guys,

As you know, the forum is being closed down. I suspected this would happen last week as Bose removed the link on the website. It's a shame, but I'm sure we'll bump into each other another way to discuss this, such as through Reddit.

Take care, everyone.

This really sucks 😕

A few years ago I found a Bose Wiki page that looks like it was started but never completed. I was thinking about adding some things there. Does anyone want to help?

I think the best bet is to continue this conversation in the Bose Reddit forum. 

Bose Bose ... Bad decision closing down this forum. Not implementing requested features and then also closing this forum. It's time to change the company i guess. Hello Sony ht-A5000 and A7000. At least those have Chromecast and DTS x support

Hello everyone, 

I've been speaking with Bose as they wanted more information about my setup and products. They have informed me that the Soundbar 900 now supports Dolby Atmos through Dolby Digital Live once the firmware is updated.

However, it may not support native DDL content as Dolby Digital Live when using Atmos is 5.1.2 rather than 7.1. They told me that the EDID should allow the TV to dynamically know this so the streaming services should offer Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos when available instead of Dolby Digital 7.1.

So the Soundbar 900 now supports the following formats. The below came directly from Bose.

Dolby Atmos over TrueHD

Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Live

Dolby Atmos over Dolby MAT 2.0 (Apple TV etc.)

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby Digital

Linear PCM 5.1 and 7.1

I have made an order and will test everything if people are waiting to find out more. If the forum closes, have a look on Reddit for me.

Cheers.

good info.

Saying that, if we have a TV with only HDMI ARC (and no eARC), will we be able to enjoy the dolby atmos?

wrote:

good info.

Saying that, if we have a TV with only HDMI ARC (and no eARC), will we be able to enjoy the dolby atmos?

It's going to be a limited experience.

So, your TV needs to support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Live over the ARC connection. It's possible to do this format of Dolby Atmos over ARC, but it's dependent on your TV model. This will allow you to hear Dolby Atmos from most streaming content such as Netflix and that's it.

If you want to use Dolby Atmos from TrueHD, such as a Blu-Ray or Dolby Atmos through Dolby MAT (Linear PCM audio from Apple TV), you need an eARC connection.

If you feel your TV doesn't need an upgrade, the solution here is an HDFury Arcana. You run all of your sources, such as Blu-Ray, Apple TV, Xbox, etc., into an HDMI switch that connects to the HDFury Arcana. This feeds to your TV for the video and provides an eARC output for your Bose Soundbar 900 to support all the latest formats it needs.

All you won't get is the automatic lip-sync as this requires an eARC connection directly on the TV, but either using the Arcana or the Bose Music app, it's easy enough to adjust the delay if you need to.

From what I read on Discord, all you have to do is connect the Arcana to HDMI 1 on your TV which will allow your TV and Soundbar 900 to output audio together. From here, you can adjust the delay on your Bose to match your TV. Afterwards, you can connect the Arcana to the ARC port on your TV which will allow your TV to pass audio from the internal apps to your Soundbar 900 and also control it through CEC for audio.

It would be as if the Soundbar 900 is connected directly to the ARC port except when you use a device such as an Xbox as an example, it will send the audio directly through the Arcana and to your soundbar bypassing the TV allowing you to gain higher quality audio. It's a little expensive, but it's totally worth it compared to the cost of getting a new TV.

There is a German guy who posted a YouTube video of the Bose Soundbar 900 he bought.

Below the video a person asked whether the Soundbar works with Atmos when using the Netflix app.

His answer is that it works perfectly and the Bose app is even showing the audio format in the app. 

2EF4D2F2-9E1B-4AF4-8DF1-92B4F4E0C71F.png

https://youtu.be/u4N2zHXxLxc

wrote:

There is a German guy who posted a YouTube video of the Bose Soundbar 900 he bought.

Below the video a person asked whether the Soundbar works with Atmos when using the Netflix app.

His answer is that it works perfectly and the Bose app is even showing the audio format in the app.

Yep. The Soundbar 900 was firmware updated this week to support Dolby Digital Live with Atmos content. So the Soundbar 900 now supports all three versions of Dolby Atmos (TrueHD, DDL, MAT), which is perfect.

Like Sonos, the app shows that Dolby Atmos is presented from the content as the receiver does not have a screen. It's a requirement from Dolby that the user can see that Dolby Atmos is engaged somehow, and Bose has no choice but to add it to the app. However, as far as I'm aware, it will not show the incoming signal type similar to the Smart Soundbar 500 or 700. It will only show if Dolby Atmos is there. I could be wrong on that last part, but that's the impression I got from the manual.

wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I've been speaking with Bose as they wanted more information about my setup and products. They have informed me that the Soundbar 900 now supports Dolby Atmos through Dolby Digital Live once the firmware is updated.

However, it may not support native DDL content as Dolby Digital Live when using Atmos is 5.1.2 rather than 7.1. They told me that the EDID should allow the TV to dynamically know this so the streaming services should offer Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos when available instead of Dolby Digital 7.1.

So the Soundbar 900 now supports the following formats. The below came directly from Bose.

Dolby Atmos over TrueHD

Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Live

Dolby Atmos over Dolby MAT 2.0 (Apple TV etc.)

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby Digital

Linear PCM 5.1 and 7.1

I have made an order and will test everything if people are waiting to find out more. If the forum closes, have a look on Reddit for me.

Cheers.

I got an email from them and while I am not familiar with Dolby Digital Live, they said that it will play Dolby Digital Plus but as you will see below they did say it was for Atmos and non-Atmos versions.

Here is what they said:

We support all of the Atmos formats, Dolby Atmos TrueHD, Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT (Linear PCM 7.1). Within the Bose Music App it will only display “Dolby Atmos” for all them. We support these formats for Atmos and Non-Atmos content.

Here is the list of formats we support:

LPCM

Dolby Digital

If incoming FORMAT is MAT is displays as LPCM

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby Digital Plus

If format is DOLBY_MLP_ATMOS it displays as Dolby Atmos

If format is DOLBY_EAC3_ATMOS it displays as Dolby Atmos

If format is DOLBY_MAT_ATMOS it displays as Dolby Atmos

If format is DOLBY_AC3_ATMOS it displays as Dolby Atmos

Format is unknown, it displays as Format Unknown

This is amazing news and thank your for persevering with Bose support on this.

Looks like it will be time to upgrade the Soundbar 700!

Most DVD movie formats include Dolby Digital. DTS lost the home theatre sound wars.

This string gave me a headache. Sound format wars has that effect. Bose generally does a good job sorting out the various formats and even adds a bit of its own proprietary decoding when required. Me, I always choose “auto” and let the “machine” figure it out. 

So I got my Soundbar 900 yesterday.

Setup: AppleTV4K/PS5/Soundbar 900 (ARC) -> TV

My TV is from 2017 and therefore has only ARC (no eARC) it supports Dolby Digital Plus but I don’t think Dolby Mat. 

In the Bose Music app it just says Dolby 5.1. So no Atmos. That’s a bummer.

Edit: Tested Netflix, Disney and Apple TV from my Apple TV 4k with Atmos titles.

Okay, so I just had a call with the Bose Support. It seems Dolby Atmos will only work through eARC. I will now try either with a new TV or with the HDFury Arcana HDF0160.

The supported codecs, according to him are:

- Dolby Atmos

- Dolby True HD

- Dolby Digital

- Dolby Digital

- PCM 2.0

Can I ask where you purchased the Soundbar 900. I purchased mine from Bose UK and it's still in process. Bose Support just tells me I have to wait it out until my order is picked and packed.

ARC is just HDMI with the optical standard built-in. However, some TV manufactures increased the bandwidth to support Dolby Digital Live. eARC is the proper solution to fixing the mess and increasing the bandwidth to support lossless audio. However, you still have to make sure that the TV supports the passthrough of the formats you want. Sony is usually good on this and supports passing through all the latest formats over eARC.

If your TV doesn't support eARC, the HDFury Arcana is the solution.