Give me a break

You don't have Phantom power on your pres?! you sum channels on your line out.  I thought bose was pro gear.  for the love of all things good fix this.

Hi msp,

msp posted:

You don't have Phantom power on your pres?! you sum channels on your line out.  I thought bose was pro gear.  for the love of all things good fix this.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the configuration of the F1 Model 812. If you need the features you've described, you'll have to add a mixer to the signal path.

In this class of device -  powered loudspeakers of similar size, weight, power output, SPL: Most of the units I've seen are configured in a similar way.

• No phantom power
  • Line out is post volume controls, all channels summed

The F1 Model 812 is unique with its flexible array technology.

I would have preferred that the F1 Model 812 had phantom power, but I almost always have a mixer in the signal path. All my mixers have phantom power, so I don't need it built into the F1.

ST

Can you think of any pro gear powered speaker that has phantom power @ST ?

Yes my original bose tower has Phantom power and I gigged on it for 500 some shows.  Now I'm moving to Australia and have to replace it.  I use a beta 87 for my vox.  Is that pro enough?

I was wondering about gear along the lines of cabs that can be pole mounted?

Hi DJ8X,

DJ8X posted:

Can you think of any pro gear powered speaker that has phantom power @ST ?

DJ8X posted:

I was wondering about gear along the lines of cabs that can be pole mounted?

I did some hunting around last night. My criteria: about the same size, weight, power output, SPL, and since you mention it, everything I looked at was also pole-mountable.

I looked at least four products that fit the criteria. I didn't find phantom power on any of them, and all that had multiple inputs summed them, post volume to the line out.

ST

Hi, msp,

Thanks for telling us more about you and your experience with Bose Portable PA equipment.

msp posted:

Yes my original bose tower has Phantom power and I gigged on it for 500 some shows.  Now I'm moving to Australia and have to replace it.  I use a beta 87 for my vox.  Is that pro enough?

Here's a little background.

As you know: the L1® Classic was an integrated unit with a mixer, power amplifiers, Cylindrical Radiator® and bass module all working as a single unit. You could remove the Cylindrical Radiator® and the bass module for transport. The mixer section was built into the power stand.

Over time there were many requests for more functionality in the mixer section (more ToneMatch Presets, EQ, Effects, and Reverb). And other customers who did not want a mixer section at all; just an input for mixers they already owned or preferred.

When Bose replaced the L1® Classic/Model I with the L1® Model II,  they split the mixer (the input panel) from the powered loudspeaker (the power stand with Cylindrical Radiator® and bass module).  The T1 ToneMatch® audio engine was the separate mixer.  Among its many features was phantom power.

The only inputs on the power stand for the L1® Model II and L1® Model 1S are a ToneMatch port for connecting the T1®, and an analog input for a second T1® or third party mixer.

Since then, Bose has provided relatively simple inputs on powered loudspeakers like the F1 Model 812, L1® Compact and the S1 Pro System. These both provided ToneMatch Presets and other features, but for phantom power and deep control over EQ, Effects and Reverb, you need a T1®, or more recently a  T4S or T8S.

I understand your feelings.  My personal microphone requires phantom power, and that means I bring along my ToneMatch mixer  whenever I connect to my Bose systems. I don't mind because of all the other benefits.

The L1® Classic is a great unit. I still have several running in permanent settings.  And I have T1®s for all of them.

ST

Thank you for addressing my concern.  But I can't pay 5k in australia to include a bose mixer I just want phantom power on the compact bose tower.  I do realize that most portable pa systems do not have phantom power.  I am simply requesting that they should.  I gig medium venues and teach for a living.  I wish I could, but I can't throw down that kind of money for medium size bar gigs.  Again, thank you for addressing my concerns.  I love my Bose tower, but unfortunately I have to let it go.

hey DJ8X, thanks for putting up with me.  I do realize it's getting harder to find a portable PAs with phantom power.  However, I use a mic that needs phantom power and I'm not going to change that.  I think I'm gonna go with a pole mounted solution not because I am not totally in love with my bose tower, but the economics of it all.  I wish i could take my tower with me. I will miss you bose tower. 

No problem. The price of the F1 system does leave you wishing that is was indeed a miracle system. I have learned to fully embrace every feature that it does offer and maximize those offerings. What I end up with is satisfaction in knowing that my 5k was well spent. 

I would not encourage you to drop the use of your mic that requires phantom power. However I myself did have to drop some of my traditional set up in order to maximize what this system offers. I am glad I did. I am sure if you get a mixer to add to the chain, you will love the system. 

One can use an external phantom unit, like the Sterling Audio PHP1 phantom power supply. I own two of these and they work great.

yeah while conversing here I have found some affordable little units like the Sterling and Beringer that offer phantom power bricks.  

Hi msp,

Please give us some links to the units you found. Last year I gave my battery powered phantom power supply to a buddy to use with his Neumann KMS 105.  Now that we have the S1 Pro - I wish I could get it back.  It was expensive.

ST

St,

https://www.amazon.com/Behring...OPOWER/dp/B000FG795I

Putting this beside your Bose tower will look ugly.  But it's affordable and its purpose is phantom power so it shouldn't degrade your signal path in any way.

I just noticed you requested a battery powered phantom brick.  I don't know about that.  sorry

One way of doing it...  Connect a rechargeable 9V output li-ion battery (such as the Sanyo eneloop KBC9V3U) to a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic, then  connect the Neumann KMS 105 (or other phantom mic) to the Mic Mechanic and then to the S1 Pro.  I just tried it with mine and it worked fine. Nice sound with the Mic Mechanic too, -- and it gives you vocal echo if you want it. If you don't want to color your sound, you could set all the Mic Mechanic settings to "off".  I have no idea how long a fully changed Sanyo eneloop will operate the Mic Mechanic in phantom mode, but I'd expect it would work well.  I use the Sanyo eneloop with my Bose VE-8 and the KMS 105 and it has easily lasted a 3 set gig and still had more than 60 percent charge.

Archtop, you way to smart for me   thats too complicated I'ma simple jazz blues player

Ha ha.  It's really quite simple, the only thing complicated was my long-winded explanation!

Basically: Eneloop to Mic Mechanic to SR-1 Pro.  Then phantom mic to Mic Mechanic.

My Behringer 1002B battery powered mixer has 18V phantom power. It works with many condenser microphones, but not all.

BehringerXenix1002B2BehringerXenix1002B

This is the problem... I don't want to invest in an awesome tower Pa.  Is got the name Bose on it.  and I have to bypass the preamps or double preamp to power a mic?  What is the point if I have to go through Behringer pres?  Its not right.