Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

I found this link on the message board
https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/NC700-Found-a-working-bluetooth-dongle-for-Windows-device/td-p/286090

I disabled bluetooth on my main board as an experiment, and installed an older bluetooth 4.0 dongle I had lying around (Broadcom ... from Monoprice from a few years back). It's not perfect, but is 80% better than what happened.  I still have crackling cut/outs on Spotify and Google Meet, but at least it I have proven to myself that it's a software windows/bose issue. 

I saw an advert for a Bose specific dongle that might be being released (can't speak to price). 

That link above is someone who has tried a bunch of dongles and is offering advice. 

consider reading that post and taking notes. The support on this issue has been quite lacking! Your customer loyalty is taking a hit. Your users are not stupid, gathering up our firmware and app versions is lovely but if we can figure out the reason why your product is not working, are you seriously saying (with you silence ) that you cannot? Please don't think for a moment we're going to purchase another pair of updated headphones b/c you can't fix this software issue. We should be offered a dongle to make up for this issue.

Good luck to everyone who's update windows in past year, and shame on you Bose.

bose is offering this accessory. for 69.95  USD, you might want to try the cheaper usb dongles first, before trying out this one...

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/headphone_accessories/bose-usb-link.html#v=bose_usb_link_black

I haven't decided yet.

Hello,

I have the latest version (1.8.2) installed, and I just ran the updater and it told me I have the latest version installed.

My Bose 700 is simply AWEFUL when connected to two devices, be it an iPhone and a Win 10, or an iPhone and a Mac, or an iPhone and an iPad, etc. It does not matter what the combination is, it will stutter so bad when connected to two devices that I'm better off with a cheap $5 wired headphones.

I truly suspect the two devices feature is not really possible over bluetooth. Bose probably know this and it's why they have recently released a new 700 UC model with a dongle.

Is there a solution to this really bad inherited issue? Will there be recalls similar to the Sleepbuds? I'm starting to hate listening to my Bose 700!!!

My device is fairly new, it shows manufacture date Jan 13, 2020. Firmware 1.8.2-11524 e0f7590

I don't think it's a driver issue, don't go mess with your other devices and break them. I have a feeling Bose 700 is incapable at the hardware level to maintain a two-device connection. I'm starting to suspect it was a rushed "minimal viable product" design decision by the Bose team to rush a product to market to compete with the flawless Sony MX headphones.

Hi,

I've bought this headphones in November, since then I get this glitch/stutter only when I connect two source together. After troubleshooting the issue, by myself and with the support (here the thread) it seems that the only way to get rid of the issue is to connect one source at time.

Apparently many users are getting the same issue as I can clearly see in this thread so I ended up posting here.

Now I just want to know if it is a known defect so it is not resolvable, in this case I would like to have the choice to apply for a refund and ship them back. Instead if it is resolvable, please tell me what I have to do in order to solve the problem. This is "advertised as a compelling feature to be able to connect to 2 devices at the same time" so why it doesn't work?

All the os's and firmware are updated:

iPhone XS iOS 14.4

Bose firmware 1.8.2

Bose Music App 4.2.4

MacBook Pro (15" 2017) macOS 10.15.7 (for working reason I can't upgrade to last macOS version yet)

Please Help!

Thank you.

I have a pair of Bose 700 headphones that i bought around a year or so , I'm having problems with the audio. It would often stutter for unknown reasons and I'm on a mobile device (oppo reno 10X zoom)  I'm not quite sure what caused the Stuttering, i think it fell from my bed When i was sleeping is that the cause of the audio Stuttering??.

Any info is helpful !

Hi, all.

I have exactly same issues with you guys. (iPhone x, iPhone 12 pro, Macbook pro 15, bose app 4.2.4, firmware newest) But the service center can't even find these problems. They keep saying there is no problem with nc700 :). I think Bose has a difference in opinion by country. What a brand it is...

I also want to buy a Bluetooth module that Bose made but in some country that doesn't admit this problem don't have the product. 

I won't recommend Bose to anyone.

I have been reporting this as well, just as you describe, for well over a year. No resolution to date. I have searched YouTube and web for a way to fix this “stuttering” when more than one device is connected with zero results on a fix. I have reset my NC700’s many, many, many....many times, cleared the history of connected evinces, everything Bose says to do and....they still stutter when connected to more than one device. I kind of gave up as my headphones are out of warranty...thought maybe sending them back and getting another would help to fix it but I read where someone did that and the same thing happened. 
so... dry interested if it ever gets fixed...will just keep checking!

How many pages of complaints does there need to be in order for one of the mods to respond?....ANY update at this point would be apricated. Clearly, there's something not working correctly with the product...either hardware or firmware related. Is there an eta on when we can expect a firmware update to fix this NC700 mess?

Can anyone out there can offer the community any info....

Thank you all for taking the time to post here. We continue to receive reports from the community of audio stuttering while using the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. As always, we do recommend, updating your product to the latest version of firmware. We have heard reports from some users that they have experienced improvements after updating.

We understand this is not the case for everyone and for those of you who continue to report audio stuttering we would like to understand your use case a bit more. If you are willing to provide additional information to support our investigations of these reports, please follow this link to fill out a brief survey to collect information about your use case. We understand that you may have already provided some of this information in previous community posts, however completing this survey will help better inform our testing.  

We’ll continue to update this thread when we have additional information to share. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

I'd also like to post that I fixed the restarting issues I had with my NC700's. I had seen a forum member mention that he had restarting issues as well and he said that he removed his Boom & Megaboom by Ultimate Ears app and that solved his problem. I thought it was a coincidence and didn't give it a second thought....until I did...months later. Low and behold, I removed the app and my NC700's no longer restarted 3 times before connecting to my phone. Go figure. For some reason there's some cross talk somehow with the Bose Music app,  NC700, Boom & Megaboom app, and my Ultimate Ears speaker. 

Filled the survey as thoroughly as I could with plenty shared experience and conclusions from my side.

I spent the last 4 hours to read through most of the forums that is relevant to this subject "BOSE 700 stuttering if dual connections".

There are 3 work around until BOSE can fix this extremely annoying issue for us, that impacts many of our experience heavily.

A/ if you can afford, try to connect one device at a time.

or
B/ turn off BT and use it through 3.5 wire connection...

or
C/ use the trick and simply start a music to play from the secondary connection and keep it paused, while us using the PRIMARY connection actively.

i.e. I have a MAC and and iphone. MAC i use as ACTIVE and the iphone as SECONDARY (but regardless the firmware, regardless the driver versions or the source of the music or the level of the noise cancellations) if the IPHONE is just passively connected will keep the connection in every ~2 mins and during it will causing this stuttering.

to cheat this the secondary need to be change from passive to active but paused - as that will keep the capability of your device to handle any incoming calls, without having the side effect.

it is not to sophisticated solution, but at least you still have the full feature of the device.

May I kindly urge that development from the developers please?
Or at least a more frequent update to us (TO THE CUSTOMERS!!!) - so we shall beware when this picky issue will be solved? please.
cheers. 

Finally something that seems to be taking this seriously, with some decent questions that look to want to get to the bottom of this.

Let’s see however, as it seems to have been a long time issue...

Just got a new pair of NC700, noticed no issues out o the box but after updating to the latest firmware (1.8.2), I am having constant crackling sound in the left ear when ANC is on, and the cracking gets worse the lower ANC level is. This happens regardless of the amount devices connected, or the type of device. 

The crackling is there regardless if music is playing or not, but survey only has options for current audio. Is this same issue as for the rest of the people on here, or a similar but separate one?

So I've been living with the stutter/crackle ever since this firmware update or possibly longer(who can remember, it's all a blur.) and I tried all the usual tips for troubleshooting and nothing worked, figured this was my life now.

Turns out all I needed to do was unpair it with the secondary device(my phone) while using my laptop or vice versa. Fixed!  Sweet, pairing to multiple devices is a great feature but I'll happily lose it to stop the lag when listening to music/making calls.

Now if only I could figure out how to fix the mic issues(turning off randomly during discord/8x8 calls, bad quality randomly, etc..)

Anyone know if the Sony M4's have any of these issues? Asking for a friend.

LOL -- this is a joke, right. I have had these headphones for 9 months and they STILL don't work.

Thanks to this experience, I have convinced my parents to move from Bose to Sonos in their house, and I am ordering new headphones of a different brand: Sony, Apple, or B&W. Honestly, I have never seen such a terrible product supported so badly in my life.

Hi  thanks for SOME response, at least now we don't feel like talking to a wall...  is there any feedback from the Bose team? are they contacting NC 700 owners experiencing this issue?

no issue with my Sony, I had a Bose 700 before and I sent it back. disapointed in Bose

Well, gosh, I did several steps but the problem did resolve. I tried all the steps in a the other major previous post about this (dated 07-20-2019).

• Bose product model: Bose 700
• Bose product firmware version: 1.82 (Current as of Feb-28-2021)
• Bose app version: 4.3.3
• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: Similar to many other, problem was constant stuttering once paired to 2 devices.  Disabling bluetooth on either of my devices (2016 Macbook, iPhone 😎 and the problem immediately disappeared.  No discernible ability to effect how bad the stuttering would get.  
• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? Issue was immediately from day 1.
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (iPhone 8 ios 14.4, 2016 Macbook 10.14.6 Mojave)
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? No, it was immediate.
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any.

Steps I took (unfortunately after many failed attempts troubleshooting, I did 4 steps at once so I cannot guarantee which fixed it... >.<):

-Changed routers to 5ghz to avoid any BT interference

-Reset OSX PRAM

-Reset OSX Bluetooth Module

-Did the steps in the 1st post (though the holding down power while plugging in USB-C connector and waiting for BT to blink blue never seemed to work...)

-Unpaired all devices, repaired in the order suggested (Mobile "Pair" first, reset mobile device, then click "Connect"), then laptop 2nd.

I know many people are disappointed with Bose, but honestly I think bluetooth has never been particularly known for stability, especially when mulitple audio connections are involved... so far it's working for the past 30 mins, so if it reoccurs then I'll try my steps one at a time and see.

Purchased the 700's a month ago and just started running into this problem today. I've tried all the rebooting steps, updates, disconnecting, and reconnecting and the only thing that seems to work is only having one device connected at a time. This is unbelievably annoying.

I just took a look and it looks like this thread started 11 months ago! I purchased these to be my all-day go-to headphones and working from home with someone else who does on top of needing to switch to music, calls, etc. for multiple devices, this just won't cut it...at all.

Shame, I loved my previous Bose headphones, used them for years, but these are going back in the box and returned tonight. I hear Sony made some comparable and cheaper headphones that seem like a better deal at this point.