Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

Unbelievable but true!!  After months of restarting issues.... I tried something I found on this topic and it worked!!     Deleting the ultimate ears app, the ue boom app I didn't have the problem anymore.

Looks like there is a conflicting issue with other apps that use bluetooth? Deleting the boom app worked for me.

The connectivity issues are unreal - only been 1 day and I'm sick of them already.. It's impossible to connect 2 devices to them without crackles, cutting out, failed connections, etc, etc, etc. Now I've gone through forum after forum and have seen A) these problems are widespread with no great solution and B) Bose representatives have offered BS in response to complaints, over and over and over again with seemingly hundreds of unsatisfied customers. I'm out - returning these tomorrow. Either Bose doesn't really care or they are completely ignorant...

Let's skip the routine debugging, shall we?

NC700 stuttering has been an issue for 1 year without a fix. As a Bose fan, I believe Bose is able to build another headphone out of this timeframe. So if this is a firmware issue, it should have been fixed. I lost faith in Bose because it doesn't do the right thing when things go wrong and not because of the issue of the product. 

Please do the right thing and recall all the affected units. 

Thank you!

A Bose Fan No More

P.S. I am sure that I am not the first one to quit Bose and will not be the last one.

I have Bose NC 700 and it is connected yo my Samsung galaxy s8 and my Macbook but there is a problem that every while and then it makes some cracking noise. It is happening for example when I listening to music! I have tested with Windows 10 as well and it is happening there too!

When I disconnect my phone it is better but still, it makes noise. It is something like switching between audio sources multiple times (not real switching but I just say that in terms of the noise).

Is it a hardware problem or a software one and how I can solve this?

Well, since doing all those steps in my previous post, it's been unconsistent.  Crackling/stuttering returned, though resetting the PRAM and BT Module, and then had another day of stability.  Odd.

I'm often just resorting to disconnecting one device which is unfortunate.  Perhaps I'll try resetting PRAM and BT Module once a week.

Hi guys!

No fixes for the issue so far?

I conducted couple of tests. I used: Android phone Honor 6, iPad pro 9.7 (2018), Windows 10 PC, iPhone 8, iPhone 11

Checked all configurations. The only configuration that gives me stutters is: iPhone 8 PC. Not even iPhone 11 PC or iPad PC. The stutter can be herd even if nothing plays as a crackle sound.

hello all,

after almost one year of frustration of waiting for a fix from Bose for the stuttering issue, I found the easiest solution which works 100% of the time. 

Today, I sent back my headphones to Bose for a full refund and ordered Sony WH-1000XM4. 

I was a loyal Bose customer for more than 10 years and this one product was sufficient to make me lose my loyalty. Never buying Bose again! 

P.s I’m also happy that I’ll never use this portal again to complain about Bose! 

Cheers! 

How can you get a full refund after one year? I am more than happy to send it back any time and never come back here again.

same issue - wrote in the german forum about the same issue.
They feel it should be fixed by now - but maybe an update will come to address this issue.

For me my current solution is, to not use multi-pairing, if I want stutter-free sound.
And connect via the bose app to another device, if I want to switch

Hey  

I live in Germany and after 2 replacements, the company will offer a refund if the problem cannot be fixed. 

Also, the warranty period increases from the date of replacement every time you replace it. 
Try talking to your local Bose service center and find out if this option exists. I texted them on their WhatsApp number. 

Thanks! @vineethpbharadwaj It looks like the game is different in the US.

My best guess for this issue is that Bose's bluetooth 5 is not compatible well with previous bluetooth version. I am experiencing this issue on all of my devices using bluetooth 4.2. But things go smoothly with my new iPad which uses bluetooth 5. 

I got a new 700 and it has the exact same problem. It stutters and skips when connected to my Macbook Pro, but it works fine with my phone. It's ridiculous that people reported it over 1 year ago but still not fixed. I guess it's just impossible to fix. Bose shall recall all of them and refund everybody.

I've been experiencing this issue since day 1. It is the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a product. When turning on my headphones, it auto-connects to both my iPhone and Macbook Pro. Stuttering occurs consistently when any sound (music, video) is playing every 30-60s. Each time I turn on the headphones I must actively disconnect one of the devices each time if I want a stutter-free experience. However I lose one of the core features of modern Bluetooth devices - multiple devices connected.

I will note that when using the microphone (on a video call for example), I do not experience the stuttering.

's comment got me thinking. My iPhone is Bluetooth v4.2. I have a newer iPad which is Bluetooth v5. I tried switching it so the headphones are connected to the Macbook (also Bluetooth v5) and the iPad and not the iPhone. Surprisingly, I do *not* experience the stuttering. I think  's comment is accurate - the stuttering really only occurs on older versions of Bluetooth devices.

It would be interesting to see what the Bluetooth versions are of other affected users. We can do all the troubleshooting work for Bose! Then perhaps they would be willing to invest a small fraction of their developer's time to address this most fundamental issue of a seemingly flagship headphone product (an image of the headphones is on the front page of their site!).

I have the same issue with 700 Uc connecting to an iPhone X and iPad mini 5 both use Bluetooth 5.0. Stutters every two minutes (give or take a couple seconds) when playing music almost as though something is try to poll the headset every two minutes ( is this the Bose music app perhaps?)

after some testing I found in my case it appears to be related to when one device (in my case the one with Bose music app installed on it) loses connection from within the Bose music app only, even though the headset is still still be connected in the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone and iPad and you can still play music through the headset.  If it subsequently reestablishes a connection in the app the shutter can still happen for a minute or two but when then seems to disappear completely 

however after finding this thread and seeing this has been going on for a year then I’ll wait for up to 90 days and if this isn’t solved with the 90 day return period be sending these back to Bose. Shame as this is the only headset I can find that a) sounds good b) has good anc and c) works well with ms teams. 

Still have this issue with random effect whatever the firmware, connected to a PC HP Elitebook 820 G3 with latest BT Drivers and teams version and Iphone 8 with latest iOS.

Then I decided to buy the Bose USB link because I use the  NC700 to work.

It solves the Pb with offering also CD bytes rates for Teams, Windows Communication instead of the poor magneto one .... 

your comment got me thinking. My phone (iPhone 7 w/ BT4.2) is the device with the Bose Music app installed. I uninstalled the app (but kept the BT connection). I then turned on the headphones (which auto-connects to both iPhone and Macbook) and unfortunately I experienced the same stuttering issue.

I then installed the Bose Music app on my iPad (the device with BT5), and same as before I *do not* experience stuttering when connected to it and the Macbook.

So to summarize my experiences:

- BT5 (Macbook) and BT4.2 (iPhone) - stuttering issue with and without Bose Music App installed.

- BT5 (Macbook) and BT5 (iPad) - *no* stuttering issue with and without Bose Music App installed.

My phone and TV have BT 5.0, and they work fine; my laptop is older, with BT 4.2, and it stutters.

[After posting this, I see that there is a thread for the 1.8.2 firmware, which is what I have. Should have posted there, but I've spent enough time on this issue. I've got other headphone options and will just use one of those.]

Just chiming in to say that I too am having the Bluetooth stuttering issue when using multipoint. None of the suggested workarounds has helped. I'm on the latest firmware, etc.

Because of my business, I use many different Bluetooth devices. The 700 headphones are the only ones with this problem. Notably, the Bose QC 35 II headphones work just fine.

Given that the 700 problem has been reported for almost two years now, and that other Bose products don't have it, I fear it is a hardware problem of some kind that can't be fixed with a firmware update. Therefore it is too expensive to fix and Bose is not going to do anything about it.

No hardware issue.

Had the same ugly stuttering which made them unusable for me, but was able to downgrade firmware to 1.2.11.

Not a single stutter since then. Must be careful *not* to use the Bose App or Google Assistant with them, otherwise the firmware gets upgraded again.

Shame on Bose... The QC45 will not be mine, no matter how good they might be. Fix your existing products first...

Issue #18 at the ced Github worked for me (at least it worked some months ago)...