Portable Home Speaker - Alexa Unresponsive

Device : Bose Portable speaker

Hi, 

Till last week Alexa was working on my portable speaker but recently no response when i say "Alexa".

I just did reset , configured (Device, Music app & Alexa app)  and working good till we power off the device. Once I restart , again Alexa is not responding.

Thanks

Hi Suresh, 

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear Alexa is not responding. 

Can you please ensure the microphone is not disabled? There is a button on the top of the speaker that looks like a microphone with a diagonal line passing through it that allows you to turn it on and off. 

Dear Jefff, 

Yes, it is not disabled.  It will be on red when it is on disabled mode if i am right?

thanks

Thanks for checking this! 

I would recommend that you remove Alexa from the Bose Music app. You can do this by heading to the settings menu > Voice assistant. From here you will be able to select Alexa and remove it. Once complete, add it to the app again. 

Let me know if this improves your issue. 

Prior to send you the email , I did try more than 5 times but the status remains the same.

FYI .. All my Echo devices working without any issues except Bose Portable Speaker(Alexa).

Thanks

Hi Suresh, 

Can you please disconnect your internet router from power for around 5 minutes then plug it back in. After this, please retest to see if the problem persists.

Dear Jeff. Yes i did now but still the same issue.  It was working good prior to your latest upgrade.

Tnx

Thanks for confirming. 

When you set Alexa back up after resetting the speaker to factory settings earlier, did you remove the Bose Alexa skill and re-add it? 

Yes.. 

Yes, I cleared the catche, removed from Alexa app &  Bose App and added.   I also delted the speaker and added with different name.

Thanks

, thanks for confirming that. I appreciate the steps below are duplicates, but please could you give each of them a try again in the shown order? I am sure this will fix your issue for you.

• In the Bose Music app, tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner. If the image is a different product, tap the My Bose icon in upper-left corner, select the speaker, then tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner.
  • Select Settings > Voice Assistant> Alexa > Remove Account > Remove
  • Log out of the Bose Music app.
  • Uninstall the Bose Music app.
  • Reboot your router.
  • If you have linked the speaker in the Alexa app, this needs to be removed.
  • Reinstall the Bose Music app.
  • Log back in.
  • Set up Alexa.

Vicky.    

As you quoted I carried out the same procedure ( line by line).  It was working  and I did try power off and on and it was cool for first time.  Later I powered on again after 30 minutes but back to square one.  I.e when I call Alexa  - no response.

, As the issue persists, we would love to investigate and for this we need to gather some information. Here is the information that we would like you to provide us (highlighted in bold as I have included all of it incase others need to share also):

• Bose product model
Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)

Bose product logs as shown here
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible)

• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce
Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?
What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any.

If anyone else in the community is experiencing this issue too, and have exhausted the troubleshooting above, please do feel free to share the requested information to. 

Vicky

I ll send you the information in a day or two 

Tnx

. Please see below the required information

• • Bose product model : Bose Portable Speaker
     Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible) ref attached tech file

Bose product logs as shown here: sent
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible) ref attachment

• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce : Alexa issue ref my previous communication
 Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? After the recent upgrade
 What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) Android   ref attached

Screenshot_20210717-130758.jpg

• When did you start to experience the issue? Last 15  days .   Yes till then it was working good
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any. Yes as you guided on your previous mail .

Also please not that I'm unable get log file but I sent it to you from the app.

All other my Amazon Alexa devices like Echo speakers etc working without any issues.

Thanks

- edited my a moderator

• I'm unable to attach log files here. Can you share your email id to send .

, thanks for sharing this with us. We will be sure to pass it onto the team and will be in contact if we need anything else. 

I am not sure if I should open a new thread, but I am having what looks like exactly the same issue. My portable speaker is new and I have tried various steps, resetting etc, without any change. The problem is that almost every time I switch the speaker off, pressing the action button results in "Open the Bose Music App to configure this button". WiFi itself is fine, I can trigger playing anything from the Bose Music app for example.

I have found a workaround by trial and error: pressing the play/pause button for about 10s until the power light goes off for a short time, followed by what looks like a soft reset with plenty of light activity. Process takes maybe 20-30s overall, after which Alex is responsive again (button works).

The manual does not explain what my workaround actually does, so I do not know what the problem might be. But for sure the behaviour (loss of Alexa on power cycle) is very consistent, except maybe if the power cycle is short (off for a minute or so). The question is whether this is a "feature", or whether something is wrong. Anyway hope above helps, and would be happy to learn of any feedback from the tech team.

Bose portable not holding on to Alexa. The fixes suggested so far are temporary. I keep having to reset the speaker and it’s becoming a nuisance. I shut it down to save battery but when I power back I get the ‘open the Bose app to configure this button’ message. And I go through the whole ritual again. Ive

let Amazon know since it seems Bose isn’t doing much about it but giving canned apologies in the form of responses. Bose screwed up. My speaker stopped working after one of the updates. So if you like your Alexa avoid using it on Bose products since it appears they are not talking. Your fixes aren’t working. 

Hello Dartholomew, 

Thank you for reaching out. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Portable Home speaker and Alexa. There are a great list of steps above to perform an Alexa cleanse, please could you give them a try in the order shown and let me know if this helps? If not, please could you provide the details I have asked for so I can raise this with the development team.